In My Mailbox (18) - My Trip to Books 4 Less

Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:25 PM
In My Mailbox is hosted over at The Story SirenIn My Mailbox gives book bloggers the chance to showcase the books and goodies they've gotten over the past week.

This week, I took a trip to Books 4 Less and picked up a few books that caught my eye or that I've been meaning to read. And even if I don't like them, they were insanely cheap so no harm done.


Bought:
-Bound by Donna Jo Napoli - I've read Napoli's Zel and Beast, and I'm really looking forward to her Cinderella retelling.

I just recently read and reviewed Lockhart's The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks and I look forward to reading her popular Ruby Oliver series. 

-Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan - I have yet to read anything by either of these authors. I know, I know. I need to get on that, which is why I snatched this book up when I found it at such a bargain. 

-A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf - You cannot even begin to understand how excited I am to read this. Feminist essays rock my world!

-The Farm by Emily McKay - Vampires that are known as "Ticks?" A dystopia where the last surviving humans are being rounded up like cattle and quarantined? The premise sounds beyond amazing, but I have heard it doesn't exactly deliver. But this book was extremely cheap and in almost brand new condition, so I picked it up.

-The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer - I've been meaning to read this for quite awhile. It sounds like my type of book.

Borrowed:
-Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty - It devastates me that I am almost done with this beloved series. I may not always like Jessica Darling, but I definitely feel connected to her after watching her grow from adolescence into maturity. It feels like we've been through so much together. 

-Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - After loving Cinder, I have high hopes for Scarlet and cannot wait to continue this series!

What did everyone else receive this week? Let me know in the comments below!


14 comments:

  1. Can't wait for your thoughts on The Farm. I think I really want to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely sounds intriguing! I hope it lives up to my expectations. :)

      Delete
  2. I cannot WAIT to see what you think of Scarlet and Fourth Comings. Also, Ruby Oliver is such a delightful series - one that reminds me of a younger version of JD actually - so I think you'll like those. I'm most excited, though, for your opinion on The House of Scorpion. I've heard it's AMAZING, so I can't wait to see what you think! Happy Reading, Courtney! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard that The House of Scorpion is a fantastic book so I'm glad I finally have it! And I wish I could just freeze time and read all of these. I hate waiting or choosing which ones. :D Thanks Keertana!

      Delete
  3. All the books you got sound really good especially The Farm, I had heard about it but I wasn't sure what it was about.

    Here's my IMM & Stacking the shelves:

    http://mymidnightfantasies.blogspot.com/2013/05/imm-5-stacking-shelves-1.html#comment-form

    Enjoy all your books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to reading these!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and you're welcome, I really like your blog :)

      Delete
    3. And I like yours as well!

      Delete
  4. I AM SO GLAD YOU'RE READING THE HOUSE OF THE SCORPION RIGHT NOW. It was one of the most powerful books I read during my childhood and it gave me all the emotions and is just so clever and well-done and we'll need to have a nice long chat when you finish with it. :)
    And the other ones are okay, I suppose. But definitely pale in significance to The House of the Scorpion, I bet. ;P I am interested to read your thoughts on Bound, however. I wasn't a huge fan of Beast, but I like that Napoli focuses on Chinese culture for this retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of Beast either. I definitely preferred Napoli's retelling of Rapunzel, Zel. I am so happy to be reading The House of the Scorpion, and I look forward to a long and in-depth discussion when I finish! I wonder if our perspectives will differ with me having read it as an adult and you as a child.

      Delete
  5. I also absolutely loved Cinder! I still have to purchase my copy of Scarlet though. Hopefully it meets your hopes. ;)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I'm really looking forward to reading her take on Little Red Riding Hood. :D

      Delete

Courtney Reads A Lot loves comments a lot! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2014 Courtney Reads A Lot
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs